Google AdWords Advanced Display Study Guide 2018
Google AdWords Advanced Display Study Guide 2018
1. Google Display Advertising – The Basics
About the Guide
What Google Advertising is
Mastering the concept of Google Display Network
2. Importance of formats of display
3. Benefits of Display advertising
4. The Google Display Network Planner
5. The Google Display Ad Sizes
6.How to Create Effective Google Display Advertising
7. Google Ad Policies and Creative Restrictions
8. The New Google Display Responsive Ads
9. Managing Google Display Advertising
10 How Ads Can Help You Meet Performance and Branding Goals Especially on The Display Network
About the Guide
It is designed to help you understand the overall concept of Google Display Advertising. The Guide is divided into ten chapters, each with in-depth information on various segments of Display advertising.
1. What is Google Display Advertising
Google display advertising is a type of publicity that makes use of elements like audio, video, and images to pass an intended advertising message. Google ads can be classified into two networks the display network and the search network. Advertising on a search network involves placement of ads on search engines. On the other hand, businesses using display network to advertise, place their ads on a large network of sites across the internet. Simply put, search network advertising targets online users who typically type directly into a search engine. Display networks, on the other hand, targets users visiting other sites by placing their ads on the pages of other websites. For instance, you will notice small banners or boxes promoting a service or product on your blog site, that small advertising banner is what is referred to as a display ad.
The display network offers the largest inventory of placements with an enormous reach to numerous audiences, niches, and websites. Display advertising provides an excellent opportunity to promote your business to potential clients when they visit related websites, the likes, and news articles. Some of the common goals you can achieve with Google Display Advertising include increasing brand awareness, engage with customers, build customer loyalty and increase sales of products or services.
Tips to help master the concept of Google display network
For display advertising just like any other form of publicity to work, one must put effort and commitment. You as a business administrator need to understand at least the basics of display advertising if you are to benefit from the screen ad campaigns and even prevent wastage of resources on wrong advertising channels. Here are a few tips to help on how to use display advertising to enhance your campaigns;
- Use Managed placement. There are some methods one can use in placing ads including topic targeting, audience targeting, relevance targeting, etc. These methods can be great in ensuring the best quality of ads is set for the promotion of business. However, use of these methods only allows an administrator, partial control with regards to deciding where the ads will be placed and even the relevant sites. As a result, this is where managed placement comes in. Using controlled deployment methods unlike the traditional methods gives an administrator total control over where the adverts will be placed. That is to say; controlled placement permits an administrator to choose the exact sites where the ads will be placed. Experts at guttulus.com advise that the best way to have total control over your ads is by using managed placement because the conversions and audience you will be targeting will be consistent thereby cutting on the cost of irrelevant advertising.
- Set a Budget. As mentioned earlier, display advertising makes use of a vast space reaching over 90% of the internet. Reaching such a large area may require some significant spending, and therefore, it is important to set a reasonable budget to guide you. PPCHIRE.COM advises that when dealing with say some managed placements, you need to allocate funds to the entire ad campaign and while at it, you separate the placements into ad groups to enable you to redirect more into those groups that are better performing especially regarding the number of conversions. Having a proper budget in place can also help you avoid resource wastage.
- Use different ad formats. Display advertising offers the benefit of broad market reach. As earlier said, display ads usually appear on other websites where another advertiser’s make them more reachable. It is for the same reason that you need to have your ads in different formats to prevent cases whereby your ad cannot be displayed or viewed by users just because the given website does not support the format. Although many online users prefer visual and image ads, text ads can also be used and are often displayed. Therefore, you can include both text and image ads formats to enhance the chances of your campaign being successful.
- Give your Display advertising due credit. For those of you who have managed to run successful search network ads, you most definitely have to agree with the fact that continuous monitoring is critical to making your ad campaign a success. In fact, with search network advertising, you are most likely to spend time now and then perusing through your account, adjusting keywords, scraping search query info, removing non-performing ads and so on and so forth. A practice that also applies to display network advertising. Although Display advertising is different from search network advertising, it needs just as much effort and commitment for it to be successful. Therefore, monitoring and keeping track of your display ad campaigns is critical to heightening performance. For branding, you need to put the focus on clicks and impressions. For sales, concentrate on view-through conversions.
- Use simple image and visual adverts. Considering the statement, it sounds obvious and to some level retardant until you realize that over 65% of ads using the display network is plain text ads. Sounds alarming if you ask especially so because text ads tend to garner lower click rates as compared to image ads. Yes, text ads can work on the display advertising network, but their effectiveness is lower when compared with image ads. Therefore, it is useful to note that, in as much as text ads should be included in your campaign, pictures and visuals are a necessity. While at it, ensure that your ad is simple, visible and easy to read for your intended audience.
2. Importance of Formats of Display
The type of format an ad uses that significantly impact on its performance and the outcomes of the given advert. Different audiences react differently to different ad formats, and, it is therefore up to you to determine what best suits your audience. It is also important to choose the right kind of format as such can help maximize use of the medium. To your ad, you can easily use various forms of display including;
- Rich media expandable: This includes flash files that expand when a user initiates polite (mouseover) or non-polite(auto-initiated) maneuvers.
- Sponsorship: inclusion of a brand or logo on a website.
- Video. In case, you want to use videos in your ads; it is essential to stick to the guidelines provided by Google on the quality and type of videos to use.
- Overlays: A type of ads that usually appear on top of the content. These ads can be easily removed by clicking a close button.
- Interstitials: A type of ad that displays on a page before the page content displays. Most interstitials run for a few seconds before the main web content is displayed. Some of these can be closed as soon as they load on the page while others run for at least a couple of seconds before a user can close them.
Considerations for Your First Google Display Advertising Campaign
Before embarking on the advertising journey, it is essential to first determine among other things; the purpose of your campaign/goals, budget available for the campaign and your audience needs. To guide you, here are three major considerations for your first drive.
The Available Demographic Data
So, how available is your desired kind of audience through a display network? Having a super-niche service or product does not guarantee the availability of an audience, and at other times, it will not be easy to find an audience that perfectly matches your ideal on a display network. When you find it difficult to get a well-matching audience, you can consider, restructure your possibilities and while at it, also believe the source of data for a given display network. Advisably, take time to do some research on the type of audience you are targeting. Seek to understand among other things, the interests of your audience, their needs, where they spend much of their time online and even the activities they do while online. These will help you determine what such an audience is looking for and therefore, model your business to provide products or services that match those needs.
Set Specific and Measurable Goals
What exactly do you purpose to achieve with the campaign? Are you looking to create awareness about a new product you are introducing into the market? Are you rebranding? Are you looking to increase sales? It is essential that at the beginning of any marketing campaign that you have definite and achievable goals. The goals set the pace and direction for the drive to take to get results. You also need to be specific. For example, you can consider a goal like; increasing sales of product z by 10% instead of a general objective like increase conversions by the end of a campaign. Having specific targets make the monitoring and measuring of the performance of your ads campaign easy and more definite.
Employ Multiple Marketing Strategies
Display advertising can be a quite useful marketing tool. However, effectiveness can be enhanced by making use of different marketing strategies alongside display advertising. These means that to get better results, you can employ display advertising while at the same time maintaining search engine optimization, social media, and PPC strategies. Applying multiple strategy provide the advertising “meat” and allows you reach an even greater audience that you would not have reached only using the “bone” which is display advertising. For instance, in your campaign, you can choose to employ the use of multiple media including use of text ads, images, and visuals to enhance the appearance of ads.
3. Benefits of Display Advertising
Three major factors will determine how effective your display ads will be including the ad relevancy, visual appeal and the location where the ads will be placed. For your ad to be effective, it must first be relevant to its audience. Then it must be appealing to catch the attention of online users. Thirdly, the ad must be located on related sites where potential customers can easily access them. Thus, it is essential to understand that Display advertising with its targeting and visual capabilities offer quite some benefits to a business ranging from brand awareness to visibility and all. The specific benefits of display advertising include;
- Visual appeal. One of the advantages of using display ads is, they make use of graphic content that can be easily styled and designed to make it more appealing. Studies have shown that more users are attracted to visual ads as compared to text-based ads. Regular text ads are making use of only text content which in turn limits how quickly and more efficiently they catch users’ attention and deliver your ad message. However, this does not necessarily mean you do entirely away with text ads.
- Increased ad visibility. One parameter that online advertising makes use of is visibility. That, for your ads to work, they first need to be seen by viewers. Display ads enable your business to appear on sites that are highly trafficked and relevant to your ad campaigns. Again, as much as online advertising target specific ads, display ads do not limit your ad visibility to the online platform. Display ads enhance your ad visibility by placing the ad in front of the significant massive volumes of audiences including those not searching.
- Display advertising support is retargeting. Audience targeting is critical in online advertising; however, not all that access your ads will have an interest in the ads. Retargeting is reaching out to fans that have previously expressed interest and who would still be interested in your business. An area where display advertising comes in. Display advertising allows for retargeting of previous users by providing the users with initiates like CTA that encourage the users to explore further what the ads are offering.
- Display advertising completes branding. Contrary to popular belief, display advertising is not intended to replace the traditional advertising methods, it instead achieves it and helps complete a business branding cycle. Display advertising complements the conventional advertising methods by tapping into the enormous market offered by the internet.
- Display advertising is cost-effective. Advertising costs money, and unless, the right choices are made, you can quickly end up misusing resources in the name of publicity. In this effect, display advertising allows you as the administrator to precisely determine among other things; where your ads will be located. Thus, in turn, prevents cases where you are forced to pay for the ad that does not materialize to sales. On the same note, display advertising provides granular control of your campaign thus preventing spending on non-productive ad campaigns.
- Increasing audience loyalty to a brand. One thing with every clientele is that it needs to trust you to remain loyal to you. Therefore, you have to ensure that you create a trusting environment for your audience and one way to do this is by showing your audience that you have excellent goodwill working for you. This carries with its reliability and credibility, traits that do not come easy. As a result, creating a business environment that exudes confidence.
- Easy to monitor. It is critical to keep track of your campaign performance as such allows for making adjustments and changes to increase ad efficiency. Other forms of advertising can be difficult to track, but display ads allow for regular tracking and monitoring. Getting feedback is important as such will guide you to better and more successful marketing strategies.
4. THE GOOGLE DISPLAY NETWORK PLANNER
How to use display planner to boost campaigns.
Google display planner is a tool used in expanding the reach of ad campaigns while at the same time targeting relevant audience for business. This tool was recently rolled out and offers a great way in identifying relevant keywords, topic placements, and interests.
Before you can start using the Google display planner, you first need an AdWords account. From the account, go to the “Tools and Analysis” menu and select “Display Planner.” Once in the Display Planner, you can;
- Tell Google the interests of your customers using a word, phrase or a set of keywords.
- Enable Google to find useful targeting suggestions by providing it with a landing page URL. Choose the language and country that you prefer to target and tap on “get ideas.”
Once your request is accepted, you will be provided with a choice of keywords, interests, topics, and placements to target. At this point and juncture, you will be able to;
- Create ad groups based on the suggestions provided and customize the results such to match your campaign strategy.
- Filter results by images (leaderboard, skyscraper, square and rectangle) and text ads.
- Filter results by media (video and mobile).
- Filter app placement operating system.
- Find out about the gender and age of inventory for search results.
- Directly add the results to your account. The results will be combined allowing you revise them and come up with tailored advertising campaigns.
How it Works
When using the Google network planner, you will need a few details including your campaign’s landing page or your target audience’s interests to get started. With these features, the planner will then generate ideas and suggestions together with the projected costs, performance forecasts and inventory data for the resulting plan.
One advantage of using this planner is that such will enable you to see live projections indicating how your program is performing depending on a given budget and bid. Again, by use of selected filters and targeting, you can quickly evaluate how your ad inventory will perform for your audience. Additionally, you can also see the profile of your chosen audience including details like the size of your reach (small or large), gender preferences (males or females) or even how your suggestions and ideas are spread.
How to Create High-Quality Targeting on The Display Network
- Create customized messages for your ad groups. Your audience is unique, and as such, you will need a tailor-made message that suits its interests and requirements.
- Use various image dimensions to test different placements.
- Incorporate text and visual aids.
- Customize bids by placement.
When ads do not perform as expected, and the non-performing keywords to negative placements.
To keep your content attractive, relevant and fresh consider frequently tracking and monitoring.
The display planner is an essential, easy to use tool that is equipped with capabilities to import chosen placements and ideas directly to your ad campaigns.
5. THE GOOGLE DISPLAY AD SIZES
So, you finally decided to implement that business idea you have been sitting on for so long? And now, your business is not only open and operational, but it is also gaining momentum on the online trading platform. Well, you must have tried online advertising, and if this is the case, you now need to know about a few display network ad sizes on Google to improve the efficiency of your online advertising campaigns. Some of the most standard display ad sizes include;
The skyscraper ad size is perfect for downward descending texts or visuals. Skyscraper ads are of two major sizes (120*600 and 160*600). The narrow width size skyscraper allows better fitting where wider ones cannot. The height is sufficient to enhance better visibility for a better advertising impact.
Also known as the (728*90) ad size. It has more ad inventory from advertisers which can help enhance earnings when both text and image ads are incorporated. Leaderboard ads best perform when placed on forum sites and above content.
It tends to have more ad inventory from advertisers increasing earnings when text and images are enabled in the campaign. This size performs better when placed at the end of articles or when ingrained within text content.
Just like the medium box, the large rectangle also performs better when placed at the end of items or when ingrained within text content. The only difference between this and medium is in size.
It provides more extensive spaces for advertisers which enhances visibility. The more extensive area can also offer advertisers productive engagement. As this is one of the most popular and fastest growing ad size and it indicates a trend where users provide more visually impactful sizes preferred by advertisers.
Large mobile banner
It offers advertisers double the height of a standard mobile leaderboard. This size can alternatively be used in place of the 320*50 or 300*250.
The above are the most popular display ad sizes. However, there are other ad formats that you can employ in your campaigns depending on your needs and budget. The others include banner, half banner, vertical banner, portrait, billboard, square, small square, small rectangle, and button. Each of these provides different benefits to use and can be utilized on various campaign to achieve advertising goals as will be determined by a business.
Still speaking of size, the file sizes are also as important as the ad sizes. The acceptable file size limit is 150KB for a majority of ad serving tools. Anything exceeding this gets complicated to serve and most probably will not completely serve. Additional, it is important to ensure you use the right file format. Some of the most preferred types of files include HTML, gif, jpg, swf, and png.
Text size within an ad is also significant regardless of whether your ads push images over text or use text as an overlay on images. A harmonious balance should be desired and once this is achieved, stick with your designs while focusing on testing sizes. In case, you are not familiar with the Google ad requirements, check out the section on Google policies and creative restrictions.
6. How to Create Effective Google Display Advertising
One of the advantages of using display advertising is that such allows the total administrator control over where the ads will be placed which in turn offer control over where resources will be utilized. With that said, it is also important to note that display advertising just like any other form of advertising need to work and achieve its intended purposes if it is to be successful. Here are a few determinants for successful display advertising;
Color is the first thing one will see on a page. They are the most prominent component of any ad, and therefore, they have a significant impact on an advertisement. Colours not only catch viewer’s attention, but they also influence what step the viewers will take next. As human beings, we are naturally emotional, and we have different emotional responses to various colors whether we are color blind or not
Some theories about the connections between emotions and color exist, and businesses have been using these arguments for a long time. The idea here is, some colors are more appealing while others are an outright disgust to use on your ads depending on their interpretation. For instance, red can be interpreted by one group to mean boldness and excitement, while another interprets it to mean passion or anger. White, on the other hand, can be understood to mean calmness by one audience while another will view it as dull and boring. It is, therefore, begs to consider the colors to be used carefully. To be on the safe side, make sure you know the precise emotions you wish to evoke as you target emotional conversions. And, also bear in mind you can use not only the actual colors but also the different shades, hues, and tints as well because such will even have different effects on viewers. When choosing colors to use in your ads, first take your time and play around with the colors in your disposal. Look for something attractive not necessarily to you but your audience. While at it, consider making use of a few colors on your ads – not too many and not a single color. Use complementary colors that are eye-catching but be careful not to make the ad eyesore.
Any good advert will have a real and relevant message that it communicates to viewers. The word will usually be written or in text form. Therefore, the font that an administrator uses will influence whether or not the message intended is appropriately communicated. Your audience is most important to consider when it comes to choosing the font to use. The font needs to be readable for the audience. It does not matter the type of font use or the density of the font, what is important is that the font is easy to read otherwise you risk high bounce rates.
Color and font can be effective in catching the attention of users but just for a few moments. Once you have your audience attention, you need a message that the users can relate to and something that will prompt them to click for more. You can easily measure the effectiveness of your message by the number of conversions made once the users click on your ad. You message must be catchy enough to convince the users that the next best step is to click. However, if the audience expects one thing and finds another, they are more likely to leave and never come back. Therefore, what you say like in the next second after a user logging in is very critical. Being of such importance, your message, therefore, needs to;
- Be clear and concise
- Use proper spelling and grammar
- Use core keywords of your offer
- Include a CTA (call to action).
- Have a sense of urgency.
Fundamentally, your message should tell your audience; what your offer is, what it is not, tell the audience something it does not know and how you intend to help in satisfying a given need of the public.
Google Display Ad Creation
Display advertising involves different forms of online advertising like text ads, banner ads, image ads among others. A good display ad will among other things provide excellent support for targeting audiences which in turn allows you to strategically place your ad on the web to catch customers attention. Understanding of the important demographics of an effective display ad as merely illustrated is crucial; it is time to look at how to design and create the display ads campaigns;
Setting up the campaign
The first step in creating a displayed account is logging into an AdWords account. You need to have an active account and if not, you then first have to create one. Once in the account interface, click on the button indicating (* campaign). Some options will be provided, from the options select the “Display Network only.” Clicking on the above option allows you to configure the campaign. Here you can easily add different geographic targets as well as set up bids in the same way you set them up for a search ad campaign. Of particular interest is the “Ad Delivery” on the phase of setup.
- Ad Rotation. It determines whether ads will optimize or not and how specific ads are likely to appear as opposed to showing singular ads at almost the same time. If this ad campaign is as important, it is better that you keep a close watch on it and to do this, you just select the “rotate indefinitely” option. This way, your ads will serve evenly. Doing this enables you to make informed decisions on manual optimization of campaigns as well as be able to determine which Ad performed better as opposed to allowing Google perform all these vital tasks for you. (In as much as Google can make some decisions for you, the choices may not be as thorough because it bases its assumptions on minimal data). The Ad rotation gives you options to choose from including optimize for clicks, optimize for conversions, rotate evenly and rotate indefinitely. Selecting the optimize for clicks will show the most probably ads that will provide higher clicks. This setting is ideal for most campaigns. The optimize for conversions option will help you determine the advertisements that are more likely to get more conversions. This option will be useful especially when doing a conversion tracking. The rotate option evenly will now show you ads more evenly for 90 days after which you optimize. Finally, the rotate indefinitely will help you determine the performing and non-performing ads more evenly. Although many experts do not recommend this option, it can be quite useful in selecting performing ads from non-performing ones.
- Frequency Capping. It is the number of times your ad will show to a given set of the audience within a specified period. In most cases, the essence of creating an ad is to showcase to customers and potential customers. However, in as much as this may be the case, you do not want your ads to become an eyesore for your audience by being primarily visible every other time a given user goes online. You do not want to overwhelm users with seeing your ads several times in a day nor is this economical. PPCHIRE.COM recommends setting the ad to show minimal say about five times a day.
Configure Ad Group Targeting
After setting your ad campaign, it is time now to build your ad groups. The targeting boundaries are created on a group level which intern help determine your audience reach and where your specific ads will be showing. Some of the targeting options you can choose to include are contextual (keyword) targeting, topic targeting, placement, audience targeting and remarketing. In regards with contextual targeting, web listings are determined by the page placements that are related to the advertiser’s keywords. With Topic, you are allowed to choose a topic from a list provided by Google based on the categories defined. Placement targeting concerns itself with the choosing of specific websites on which your given ads will be shown. Audience targeting, on the other hand, is concerned with choosing audience categories based on their interests as showcased by their web activities. Remarking provides you with a ground to serve your ads to previous site users and visitors using a tracking code on your website.
The above targeting options can be combined to make targeting more precise. For instance, by layering the possibilities, it becomes easy to reach a specific audience falling under a particular interest category. You can also choose to make use of a set of choices and evaluate their performance and if weak, adjust and modify them on the display ad group. To note is, it takes time usually about 12-24 hours before any changes or modifications to your campaign take effect. For this reason, it is essential that you create your ad campaign a few days before launch to allow the changes to take effect.
Launching a successful ad campaign needs the combination of the right group targeting, ad creativity, and qualitative campaign settings. You must, therefore, ensure your display ad campaigns are appropriately set up to reach a specific audience that is more likely to convert clicks into sales or at least leads for you. Additionally, consider segmenting your ads and targeting to set up your business for testing what drives traffic, what performs and what converts to sales.
Where Your Ads Will Appear
You as the online business administrator have granular control over your ad campaign. Among other things, you have control over where your ads will be placed and for how long given commercials will show in those locations. All factors constant, the most likely locations where your ads can be found include Google sites (like YouTube, Blogger, Google Finance), Google AdSense sites (AdSense for Errors and AdSense for Domains), DoubleClick Ad Exchange publisher sites. Using display ads allows you access to over 90% of the internet reach meaning that you can place your ad on literary any site on the web. However, it is important to choose the sites that you would prefer to have your ads placed. Because putting you add on numerous sites will cost you and placing your ads on unrelated sites will cost you even more because you are more likely to get a high bounce back rates with ads on sites that are not related to the kind of products or services you are providing. Secondly, placing your ads all over can make your ad an eyesore which in turn may be a turn-off for many users and potential clients. Therefore, for your sanity and the sanity of your budget, it will be prudent to choose where your ads will be placed carefully.
7. GOOGLE AD POLICIES AND CREATIVE RESTRICTIONS
The Google ad policies are meant to guide advertisers on what types of ads are allowed. When you submit your campaign for review, each ad that you submit will be considered against policies.
To ensure quality user experience, Google requires that all extensions, ads, and destinations meet high professional standards. Google only allows advertisements that are professional looking, clear, relevant accessible to interact with and useful.
Style and spelling
For your ad to be approved, the content must be clear, concise, professional and consistent. The following will not be allowed in regards to style and spelling;
- Ads not using features of an advertisement for their intended goals. Examples include advertisements that encourage visitors to play a game or claim prizes or contest by clicking on a given ad or ads that do not have promotional content etc. However, it should be noted that these do not include ads promoting contests played on the ad destination site or those that promote sweepstakes. Again, audio/video ads are accepted, but their default settings must be paused or off. In case your business name is a phone number, you are encouraged to make a review request to determine whether or not you can use the phone number in your ad text. And in case you want to include a phone number for your customers to contact you, guttulus.com advises you use call only ads or call extensions instead of having your number in the ad text.
- Ads and extensions that do not make sense or incomprehensible.
- Ads containing inconsistent information.
- Those that do not use accepted spacing, spelling or grammar
- Image ads that simulate or mimic a text ad.
- Those that exceed character limits especially for languages that use double-width characters.
Important to note, character limits vary depending on the ad texts is in single or double width style. Double-width languages are the likes of Korean, Chinese and Japanese. These words usually take twice as much space as single width. Therefore, the character limits for such words is half that of single-width languages.
Capitalization that is not used for its intended goals or that not used correctly is not allowed. However, note that there are circumstances that would enable non-standard capitalization. If not sure, it is advisable that you make a review request to determine whether or not your non-standard capitalization will be approved.
Unnecessary repetition, non-standard and gimmicky words or phrases are not allowed. It also applies to extensions that repeat text that already appeared on text ads. Also not allowed is a repetition of expansion text repeating phrases or words within one extension or in another in the same account, ad group or campaign.
Punctuation and symbols
With regards to this, the following is not allowed;
- Unsupported or invalid characters.
- Incorrectly used symbols or punctuation not used for their intended purposes. For example, repeated punctuation, numbers, letters or symbols that do not stick with their meaning.
It should not be noted that some exceptional circumstances may permit the use of non-standard punctuation. For instance, product names, trademarks or brand names that use non-standard punctuation in their destination sites can be allowed to use such non-standard punctuation or symbols.
Also, to note is that, this policy also applies to developer names and app titles. Therefore, you may be required to change the developer name for your ad to be approved or seek a review to have your designer name adopted.
The following is not allowed in regards to image quality;
- Images that are upside down, sideways or those that cover the entire space of image size
- Unrecognizable, blurry, unclear or those with illegible text.
- Ads that go beyond the ad frame or those that encroach on the app or website.
Sometimes editing your images will be enough for them to be approved. Alternatively, you can choose to use entirely different images that comply with the Google ad policies.
Videos and pictures with blurry, unclear and unrecognizable visuals as well as poor sound and illegible text will not be permitted. Unapproved videos can be easily edited to meet the requirements. Alternatively, you can choose a different video that complies with the requirement policies.
Some conditions apply for image ads creatives you submit for approval. The requirements are designed to avoid user confusion and ensure publisher quality is not lowered as a result of unethical, spam my or irrelevant ads.
8. THE NEW GOOGLE DISPLAY RESPONSIVE ADS
Until recently, online advertisers were required to create separate text and image ads as well as create numerous images for different types of ad sizes. There have however been taken over by the responsive ads. Google through the invention of responsive display ads have made the separate text and image ads and combined them. The Responsive Display Ad helps by adjusting given ad environment and adopting the advertisement to the format, size, and appearance of an advertisement to suit and fit the chosen site. Simply put, responsive ads automatically adjust to fit into the available space on the Google Display network. That, once you submit your ad to the display system, the Google responsive ads will adjust the size, format, and appearance of your ad automatically to match the look and feel of your target, web page and the goals set up.
Benefits of Using the Responsive Ads Format
- The responsive ad format uses a “one size fits all” approach that comes in handy and saves money and time. With the approach, an advertiser no longer needs to create multiple variations of an ad. All you need to do to have your ad up and running using this format is simple.Access the AdWords interface through which you upload assets including your business name, an image, the corporate logo, headline (25 characters max. for a short one and 90 characters max of a longer one), a company description, and a URL. If you wish, you can also select advanced options like custom URL.
- Using the format, Google using your business past performance will optimize the creative assets. This way, your ad will have more data as well as see incremental improvements. Once your responsive ads are out into a native format, they will appear on the native inventory available on the Google Display Network.
- One other benefit of using responsive ads is that your ads will automatically adjust to different devices depending on a situation. A fact that is of particular importance considering the rise of ads on tablet and mobile devices giving advertisers extra freedom to appear across these platforms. `
How to Set Up Rdas
For you to access and use RDAs, you first need to have your campaign on a Display Network. The responsive ads format does not work on Google Search Network and Shopping Network. RDAs are very easy to set up. To do this, first, get into an ad campaign on Display network and then click on the (plus Ad button), then select Responsive Ad. At this point, you will be able to add any original components you may like including photos, business name, headlines, logos, etc.
What Is Required to Run Responsive Ads
There are very few requirements to have your responsive ads up and running. The primary requirements are an image and text.
Generally, for display ads using responsive formats, images are required as they form the base of the advertisement. The image to be used can either be uploaded, a stock image or scanned from a site. Google Dictates that the images used should be static, have text covering at most 20% of the image and not be larger than 1MB. If the picture to be used is uploaded, it should have a1.91:1 dimension and be more than 600*314 pixels.
The headline in an ad is the first line appearing in an ad, and it can be used with or without description. Depending on the space available, headlines can either be short (25 characters max) or long (90 characters max).
The use of the logo is optional, and when used it should appear alongside text. Using a logo gives you the opportunity to include visual branding to you add.
It should match the domain or be a recognized business name.
It is shown under the headline and is essentially where your CTA will be used. Descriptions character limit is 90 characters, and in some cases that text is shortened and in this case an ellipsis (…) appears at the end
How to Use RDAs to improve ad performance
In as much as the responsive ads help adjust your ad to suit and fit into available space, it is crucial to ensure you get the right images for your campaign. The image type and size matter. The recommended image size is 1200*628. This format allows ads to show on any platform quickly. However, in case you do not have images with this dimension, use any that is in 1.91:1 landscape ratio. The 1200*600 size is recommended because it offers capabilities to show in all ad spaces on Google network. Remember, images are often subject to a horizontal cropping of about 5% on either side. Therefore, you will want to ensure that your text is not too close to head edge otherwise you risk losing it to cropping. Another note to take, the text is only allowed to cover unto 20% of an image. Anything more than that risks not running. Measuring text overlays is possible. However, Google does not have a tool for this purpose.
A 1200*1200 size is recommended for the logo. In case your logo is not available in this magnitude, ppchire.com supports the use of any logo that is in the dimension of 1:1. This will then be worked down to size 128*128. However, it is best to get your business logo in the recommended so your ad shows in all available spaces. The logo should be placed in the center of your ad images with overlaying a transparent background. In case, you have no open experience; you can use a white background.
When it comes to display ads, where you place your text on the image is essential. It applies, in particular, depending on the position, your document may or may not end up being cut off. Again, the area will determine whether the version will be shown when the ad is run on smaller devices like mobile devices. Front-ending your writing with your call-to-action or promotion can help ensure that the text is seen on all devices.
Harmonize Ad and Image copy
The way responsive ads work it aha, there are times your ad will show only as a text-only ad. Therefore, the text is usually used to complement and highlight the ad copy, however, the version should be of good enough to work independently in situations where the ad will show as text only.
9. MANAGING GOOGLE DISPLAY ADVERTISING
The administrator has the responsibility to ensure that your online advertising campaigns work towards the achievement of your goals. You need to be in control and manage the campaign for your business to its intended advertising purposes. Some of the managerial areas we look into include:
So, how much is available for your advertising? How do you intend to use the available resources to maximize the results? And, what areas to you need to focus your resources? These are fundamental considerations to take to ensure your limited funds are well spent for the best of the business. Your budget will determine among other things the type of display advertising you employ as well as the period your advert will run. As such, you need first determine the direction you will be focusing your campaign. These will, in turn, help you prevent wasting resources on campaign directions thus will not yield any positive results.
Still talking about the budget, you also need to manage the sites, blogs and other destinations where your ads will be shown. It is of particular importance because, you will be required to pay for the spaces especially when users click on your ad. Placing your ads on the unrelated website has the advantage of high bounce rates and sometimes, you Will be required to pay depending on the number of clicks and not conversions.
Before posting your ad online, the advertisement must first be designed in such a way that it meets all Google display ad requirements. On the same note, the ad design must comply with the Google ad policies and creative restrictions for it to be approved for use. Therefore, it is up to you to ensure that your ads are in line with all the policies and restrictions as discussed earlier on. Essential components of a display Ad include images, text, logo, business name, descriptions and headlines. The user to will have to ensure that all these components meet the spelled standards to avoid disapproval. For example, images used for Google display advertising must be static (not animated), be recommendable 1200*628 and be legible for use on Google. The text, on the other hand, must be relevant and useful to users and should be placed over the images not too close to the edges. The headlines, on the contrary, must be restricted to the character limit depending on the type used.
10. How Ads Can Help You Meet Performance and Branding Goals Especially on The Display Network
It can be a little challenging to target the right audience with the user display campaigns. In fact, many advertisers end up using only a single targeting type like topics, keywords, managed placements or in-market segments when using display advertising. Using any of these advertising strategies can give results, however, using only one has the disadvantage of providing broader targeting that will be preferred by many. Here are a few suggestions on how to use display advertising to improve your campaign performance and branding goals with multi-layered targeting.
Keywords and topics
Keywords are among the most used type of precise targeting used to trigger pages on websites. Keywords are words or phrases that once typed into a search engine display sites with content related to what is entered by the user. Therefore, keywords are keen in showing ads to a target audience. However, more than often, keywords alone are not enough to have a site listed or ranked. Sometimes, search engine not only looks for topically relevant pages or website, but at times they also contain websites with parts of content being relevant. Hence explaining how layering comes in. Layering helps in specifying a topic; your website has to be in the genre defined to assist in narrowing on your target audience and the places to find them on the web. The layering also helps in listing on pages as well as on the most relevant pages of related sites. PPCHIRE.COMexperts advise the use of topics that are related to the brand will limit exposure on spam and even random articles. It will, in turn, help you reduce on the bounce off rates.
Keywords and interests
This approach is quite similar to that of keywords and topics. However, the two differ in that instead of using items to upgrade the sites shown, here the interests of visitors is used to find the right audience. Audience interests can be alongside keywords to find a list of ideal readers. Advisably, use keywords in finding relevant pages while at the same time using bid only for audience behavior/interest. Relevant here is, who your potential audience is and what benefits resonate with them. Thus mainly breaks down to understanding the needs of your possible audience and precise targeting. The more you focus your campaigns on the right audience, the more you are likely to be successful. For instance, if your campaign targets users who have previously visited your site, you need to design the campaign in such a way that it provides what such users were specifically looking for you. Simply put, you need to start thinking from the perspective of your audience and think about what is more likely to make you click on a given ad on any regular site
Put in Place a Refined CTA
Having a CTA in your ad can prompt an otherwise reluctant user to click on your ads. Therefore, it is important to use not only a relevant CTA but one that is enticing. Experts at guttulus.com argue that advertisements with clear CTAs are more likely to have better conversions, triple clicks and increase sales up in many instances. The case is that, by providing a clear and enticing CTA, you will be helping your readers positively respond to the given direction. Remember, it is one thing to catch user’s attention, and it is another thing altogether to capitalize this awareness to make conversions and even improve sales.
Optimize Your Landing Page
The first thing your ad needs to do is catch the attention of your potential audience, followed by clarifying what the audience needs to do. If you can get online users to click on your ad for a given offer, it is only fair that the user is directed to the exact promotion.