Google Adwords Advanced Search Study Guide 2018
Google Adwords Advanced Search Study Guide 2018
Google Adwords Advanced Search Study Guide 2018
1. The Basics
Major starter points to focus your campaign
Benefits of online advertising
2. Designing a Google search advertising campaign
How to determine the most effective ad campaign
The process of advertising
How to reach an online audience
How bidding works
3. Ad and site quality
4. Performance monitoring and reporting
5. How to use online advertising for profitability and growth
6. How to create an effective ad group
7. How to use ads to grow your business
8. Tracking and evaluating an AdWords campaign performance
9. Tools used to measure ad performance
10. Optimizing the campaign
1. The Basics
What will you gain from Google search advertising guide?
The study guide is made up of ten chapters. Each thoughtfully designed to equip you with the basics and complexities of online advertising. Throughout this guide, you will not only appreciate the value of online adverts but also learn to create and run a successful campaign. The guide also equips you with the necessary skills needed to effectively use Google search advertising to ensure your business relevance and profitability
Major Starter Points to Focus your Campaign
- The campaign economic fundamentals. One of the most important things you need to consider in your campaign is whether you understand the economic fundamentals. To ensure you are on the right track, ask yourself the following;
- What is the value of your business and how much are you able to afford for its advertising?
- What is your business conversion point?
- Have you properly set up the conversion tracking
One mistake you will want to avoid when it comes to advertising is not tracking conversions. You spend money advertising your business, and therefore, it is only fair that you keep track of the conversions as they form the basis for decision-making and managing your campaigns.
2. Take one step at a time. Another mistake that many business owners sometimes commit unknowingly in advertising is employing massive campaigns which eventually lead to confusion. Advisably, start small, iterate and then expand the campaign in an orderly manner. For instance, you can choose a batch of your products, then determine the location of your audience and start your campaign there.
3. Understand the basic campaign settings. There is a lot of information regarding the setting up of advertising campaigns. Regardless of the design chosen, it is important to understand from the beginning the levels available, or otherwise, you risk setting up a substantial and costly campaign structure that you cannot amend later on.
4. Seek to understand the campaign basics. Again, as mentioned earlier on, the only secret to creating a good advertising campaign is to start simple and become refined with time. Some of the areas you will want to focus on early in your campaign include the account structure, search query, page design, ad creativity and bid management. With account structure, it is important that you keep your business keywords within ad groups. On search query, you will need to pay attention to search queries and placements. Your page design should provide a strong landing. On bid management, ensure you monitor your business bids so that you are spending for the right reasons. Finally, on ad creativity, you need to ensure your adverts are designed to catch the attention of clients and other online users.
5. Think of your campaign growth. From the time you are creating your campaign settings and structuring of ad groups, it is also important to be thinking about the future. If for instance, you start by focusing on a small specific region, you may as well start thinking of the larger geographical areas that might be your target in future.
Benefits of online advertising
By putting your business online, you are exposing it to a larger audience. Online advertising can be challenging, especially if you are doing it for the first time. However, the benefits that come with it will for sure override these challenges. Some of the benefits of online advertising include;
- Cost effective. Advertising is as important as the business itself. Advertising online is considerably cheaper compared to doing it manually. With online advertising, you do away with costs for property rental, stock purchase for purposes of display and maintenance. Again, online advertising cuts on cost in that one advertisement reaches a wider audience as compared to advertising on local platforms like television, magazines or radio.
- Wider market reach. The online platform provides a wider audience reach. This way distance barriers are overcome making it easier to sell your goods or services in other countries without necessarily setting up outlets in those countries.
- Convenience. One of the greatest benefits of setting your business online is the “round the clock” presence the online platform offers.
- Other benefits of online advertising include high adaptability to marketing, offers a platform for easy sales follow-up and it is time effective.
2. Designing a Google Search Advertising Campaign
How to determine the most effective Ad campaign
There are numerous types of advertising campaigns that one can choose from. Each campaign has distinctive features and offers varying benefits. Here we look at the 3 major Google search advertising campaigns that one can adopt including;
Search Network Only
This type of campaign works by connecting or linking your business keywords to the words used by a user on Google. This type is ideal for advertisers looking to connect with users and customers at the very moment they (users) are searching for products the business is offering. Basically, with a search network only campaign, your business ads will appear on all Google search network sites.
Display Network Only
This campaign is popular for promoting and marketing optimized video and image ads on given search engines dealing only with text-based content. Display network only campaigns only popularize static banner adverts and images on visual websites like YouTube and other partner sites that do not subscribe to Google.
If your business is still new and you are still not very confident with online advertising, Gullutus would encourage you to try this type of advertising campaign as it has proven to be effective in building business brand awareness. Display network only can also be effective when creating retargeting campaigns to reach an audience you had previously reached using the same campaign strategy or an equally efficient campaign system.
Search Network with Display Select
PPC Hire observes that the search network with display select campaign is efficient for new brands seeking to create a strong foundation and presence in existing markets or well-established businesses seeking introduction of a new product to the market. The campaign makes use of features of both Display and Search networks. This means that this campaign makes use of images, text ads, multi-media ads, and animation ads. Therefore, instead of creating different ads for each campaign, SNDS repurposes text-based ads and converts them into responsive ads and after that presents them as either multi-media or image ads.
When embracing this type of campaign, you should expect to incur a little more in terms of the costs of advertising as the campaign embraces two types of ads at a go. The PPC Hire marketers believe that this type of campaign is more suitable for businesses seeking promotion in relatively smaller geographical areas.
Other online advertising campaigns you can embrace for your business include:
This type is an intrusive kind of online advertising campaign. It differs with display campaigns in that display networks are partial disruptive, and therefore, they will in most cases only appear on a page margin. Video ads, on the other hand, are aggressively intrusive and therefore, only allow viewers to skip after a few seconds. Which simply means that video ads force an audience to view them for a few seconds whether the audience is interested or not.
Google shopping ads
This type is niche specific and goal oriented campaign. The Google shopping ads are more common among promoters seeking to market their e-commerce businesses. Setting up this type of campaign is relatively easy, straightforward and does not necessarily require audience targeting or ads creation. In many cases, the only thing you will need to do to have this campaign up and running is simply linking your business with Google Merchant Center.
Universal App campaign
Universal app campaigns are similar to shopping ads in that they are goal oriented and specific. Again just like the shopping ads, the creation of a universal app campaigns is relatively straightforward. The difference between the two is the modification of your objectives. For example, you will have to decide the specific goal(s) of your campaign. Decide whether you want your audience to learn about a new product you are introducing into the market, or simply promote the already existing ones
The Process of Advertising
To create an effective advertising campaign, it is important for a promoter to understand the process. The process of advertising is as follows;
- Briefing. It is important for the promoter to give details of the products or services to be advertised. Here is it important to carry out a SWOT analysis of the business. Ask yourself; what are the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats for your business? This will help you to come up with a campaign that is effective and efficient.
- Determine your objective. What do you expect to attain at the end of the campaign? Know what the purpose of your advertising and the message you want to put across to your audience.
- Research. Research is fundamental in advertising as it provides useful information including the market behavior, the competition, what your business competitors are using that you are not, the market response, and even the resources available for your advertising campaigns.
- Determine your target audience. Here you need to determine the most probable audience or consumer of your products or services. For instance, if you are selling baby stuff, your target audience will be parents who will need to buy the baby stuff for their children and not necessarily the children who will be using the stuff. In determining your audience confusion should be avoided.
- Advertising medium selection. After determining your audience, the next step will be to choose the medium you will use in advertising. In this case, it is Google Search Advertising. Even with this, you need to determine the type of online advertising you will be using. You will want to choose an advertising campaign that suits your goals and budget.
- Budget selection. Plan a budget that will ensure proper funding of the campaign with no funds shortage or excesses during the advertising process. On the same note, ensure you budget for a campaign that will be effective thus preventing losses to the company.
- Designing of the Ad. With the help of copywriters, art directors and creative personnel, create an appealing ad. Remember the kind of ad you will create will among other things determine the traffic your campaign will receive. And of course, it goes without saying, the better the campaign, the more the traffic.
- VIII. Ad perfection. Creation of an ad is not enough. After designing your advert, you need to ensure that it is re-examined and redefined to suit your market
- Timing. The time you place your ad is as important as the ad itself. The place the ad will be put must be visible to the consumers.
- Performance evaluation. After the placement of the ad on a perfect timing, the final step is to evaluate how the ad is performing with regards to the response from customers. Here you will want to consider among other things; the satisfaction of consumers, whether the ad reached the targeted audience, and whether or not the ad can sufficiently compete with others on the market
How to reach an Online Audience
For your Google search advertising to have value and be meaningful, you need an audience. To reach an audience, you first need to understand your audience base including its interests, requirements, and demographics. You need to bring your product to the audience. Here are some tips on how to reach an online audience;
- Find where the audience spends its time. You need your audience more than they need you. Therefore, rather than waiting for your audience to come looking for you, go to the places the audience is likely to be.
- Create attractive content. The first thing before going to the audience is seeking to understand your audience, what interests them and their needs. By so doing, you will figure out what is most useful to them. You can research on your audience through case studies, blog posts, white papers, client testimonials, etc.
- Incorporate multimedia. Studies have shown that audiences better retain content accompanied by audios and videos. Share high-quality, insightful information with your audience. Additionally, you can directly share videos in your status updates, blog posts, and tweets.
- Stay consistent. It is very imperative that all your advertising efforts tell your brand’s story. On this, ensure what you tell your audience is consistent as this will help build a brand that both your audience and your leads will count on and increase loyalty.
Deciding on campaign bids and budget
As the business owner, you have control over the amount of money to be spent in your business advertising campaigns. With the manager’s campaign tools availed to you, you can choose the type of bids as well as the budgets you will embrace. This therefore, will require setting up of budgets for each particular campaign and bid.
When creating a campaign, you will also need to create your own maximum cost per click. This illustrates the amount of monies you will be using for each single click which determines the performance of your campaign. Simply put, as a campaign manager, it is absolutely upon you to determine how much you will be availing for the campaign. However, you will want to bear in mind that the amount you put into the campaign will directly affect the effectiveness and efficiency of your advertising campaign. Guttulus campaign consultants believe that the higher you are willing to part with the more site traffic to expect with conservative bids resulting in minimal clicks and conversions.
It is therefore important that before committing to Google search advertising, you learn how online advertising budgeting works in addition to the different bidding strategies and settings you will need to embrace.
The Google Search advertising budget
Coming up with an advertising budget will not only ensure you get the best campaigns up and running but also help prevent losses. Ensure you budget for daily expenses for the campaign while covering the number of days you want the ads to run. Alternatively, you can also choose to get monthly budgets which are basically daily budgets multiplied by Google’s 30.4 days.
Important to note is that, upon depletion of your budget, Google will allow you additional 20 percent clicks of the campaign. These additional clicks are usually discounted and therefore will not impact your budget.
How bidding works
Theoretically, the higher the amount spent on bidding, the greater the traffic. Although this theory holds true, PPC Hire experts believe that there is more to performance of bids than just their monetary value. What this means is that even with the highest bids, there are instances where your competitors with lower bids will outrank you as long as they (your competitors) make use of relevant keywords and quality ads.
Therefore, it can be rightfully concluded that the only sure way to successful bidding is by the creation of high-quality ads matched by relevant keywords. Also, the quality ads matched with the right keywords must be placed on relevant marketing platforms and websites targeting the right audience. Most crucial, you must employ realistic bidding strategies.
Three major bidding strategies can be used to help a business achieve its marketing needs
- Cost per Click bidding. Cost per click bidding is a strategy aimed at directing as much traffic to a site as possible. With this, you will only be charged once a user clicks on the ads that direct them to your e-commerce website. One of the advantages of using this strategy is that it gives you more control over the advertising budget because you can determine the maximum amount you can afford for successful click in what is commonly referred to as maximum cost per click (max CPC)
- Cost per Impression bid. There are times when a business only needs to popularize its products. In such situations, a business will only pay for the new product or service to get promoted. The cost per impression bid, therefore, refers to the highest amount a business is willing to pay to have say 1000 ad views. Of importance here is, you are at liberty to decide the maximum CPM. At times, you can have CPM and CPC fighting for a space on a display network. In such a situation, you will be provided with estimates of clicks the ads will have for every 1000 impressions.
- Cost per Action bid. Once a business has an established brand name and has been able to pull traffic to its website, it is time for the business to convert the traffic into customers. This is where cost per action comes in. These bids refer to the amount you are willing to pay for every click that leads to a sale.
2. Ad and Site Quality
It goes without saying, the quality of the ad you create will determine how effective your campaign will be. In the creation of quality ad, you will require the services of qualified personnel like a copywriter, ad directors, and even architects. For your online advertising to be effective, you must make sure that first, the ad you have in place is of the best quality.
In addition to the ads, you will also need a quality website where you will be running the ads. Guttulus recommends you observe the following steps in your website creation to ensure you have a quality one.
- Effective planning. To get and run a good quality website needs effort and commitment. Quality content demands effort and commitment. Your website visitors need effort and commitment. It is, therefore, important that you not only commit to creating a quality website but also put in the effort required to keep the quality of the website. Regarding planning, you need to ask yourself a few questions beforehand. What do I intend to achieve with the website? What audience will I be targeting? What content will I put on the website and what are the key performance indicators I need to emphasize on? To be on the right track, you need to answer these questions without hesitation.
- Information architecture. Upon completion of the planning phase, create, test and verify both the architecture and structure of your business website. Do not rush into designing and implementing a website. While at it, document a structure that you will keep on validating and elaborating.
- Design. This is where the real work is. Unless you are a website designer yourself, you will want to hire the services of professionals. Be involved in all the processes of creation and make any required changes. Be creative but realistic at the same time.
- Programming. Upon completion of designing, you should have an operational website. If you are at this point, it is time you started the implementation process. Ensure you have good quality and validated content for the website
- Publicize. Having successfully created an operational, good quality website it is time to start marketing it. At this point, the website HTML must be ready for search engines accessibility.
- Website maintenance. For your website to remain useful and relevant to visitors, it must be up to date. Therefore, you must look after it, update it, revise old content, add new content and do all that pertains to maintaining it.
3. Performance Monitoring and Reporting
One major concern for many online businesses is how to keep track of the performance of the online advertising campaigns that such companies have employed. Unlike before, there are some tools that one can use to view how a given advertising campaign is performing.
A few metrics can be put in place to determine how effective a given campaign is including;
The amount of traffic directed to your website can be useful in determining the effectiveness of a given campaign. However, better measurement can be obtained by viewing landing pages for pay per click campaigns (PPC). The number of visitors to your site can give you a rough estimate on the performance of your campaign. A steady increase in the visit is an indication of a healthy campaign. If the campaign is not performing, you may need to review the individual marketing strategies or simply adjust what may not be working.
Who are your visitors?
Many analytical tools will help you measure the number of visitor sessions for both new and recurring visitors. This way, you will be able to see who is new and who is recurring and you can gauge the effectiveness of your campaigns in both reaching an audience and engaging customers. In case your website does not attract new visitors, you might want to make a few adjustments. Again, if the bounce back rate is high (meaning that users leave without necessarily interacting with your site), you may need to look into the relevance of your website to the intended audience. Experts at PPC Hire believe that the more visitors stay on a site, the more likely they are to make conversions. While at it, you will also want to look into the rate of customer retention. This will be determined by the number of recurring customers. Customer retention is usually affected by factors including website relevance to users, the site elements like the ease of navigation, and content freshness. The return rate can help determine whether there is a need for content improvement to entice users.
Origin of visitors
Google analytics are useful in showing where users are coming from and therefore, determining the channels that are performing and those that are not. High results are an indication of a strong Search Engine Optimization (SEO) as visits are increasing.
Click through rate
This is the most conventional measurement of performance that largely draws from display advertising. However, display ads are synonymous with low CTR. CTR should advisably be used with other metrics for it to be effective and more accurately determine ad effectiveness.
The conversion rate is one of the most effective metrics for measuring and monitoring the performance of a given marketing campaign. Depending on your needs, you can have conversion goals including generation of leads or increasing interactivity. The goals can be set in your business’ analytics toolbox and be used to measure conversions. In case the rates are low, it is important to assess important aspects of the website like the checkout process, design, engagement potential, navigation, and relevance. The conversion rate is an important performance measurement tool. However, it should be remembered that conversions do not necessarily translate to sales.
Cost Per Click
This is calculated by dividing the cost of the clicks by the number of clicks. The cost of a click is determined by the value of bid keywords. For an effective campaign, the CPC is expected to be low. If it is high, you need to review the website keywords, adjust them, and evaluate which ones work and which don’t.
Cost Per Click
If you are looking for a more insightful and detailed metric, you need to try out the click per lead. To determine how effective your campaign is, you can, for instance, compare the monthly cost of pay per click campaign to the number of leads generated. If for instance, you spend $100 and only five users convert to leads, the cost for each lead will be $20. If this value is high as compared to say the cost of the goods you are selling, you may need to adjust your campaign accordingly.
These metrics operate on the idea that social entails exposure and can be measured by mentions or interactivity. That is, if a campaign has hundreds of new visitors with only a handful interacting, then the campaign will not be considered effective. Therefore, an effective campaign according to this metric should include channel views, new followers, bounces, comments, and subscribers to name but a few.
The purpose of employing any advertising is to create awareness about a given business or product which is later expected to translate to a positive impact on sales. Advertising costs money and as such can be rightfully taken as an investment which will bear profitability for a company. Therefore, it is important for any business to ensure that before spending large amounts on advertising, they first calculate the potential ROI such an investment will have.
Nothing can be as frustrating as starting a marketing campaign and expectantly waiting for results, only to get none. Before beginning any campaign, it is prudent to start small. Keep track of ads that give good conversions to know the approaches that work best. You can start by placing say 2-3 ads simultaneously and monitoring them to see which of them provides better conversions. This way, you will be able to fine-tune your campaign for higher profitability.
4. How online advertising works
When an online user enters a given set of keywords into a search engine like Google, the search engine displays results (both regular and sponsored). The regular (algorithmic) results displayed are determined by the query relevance. That is, the search engine only displays results that it deems relevant to the search done. The sponsored results, on the other hand, are displayed depending on the ongoing real-time auctions that the search engines run.
Therefore, upon entering a given keyword, the search engine employed identifies the bidding done by the advertisers and uses bids data as well as past click ads performance to rank the available relevant ads in the sponsored results.
You will only be required to pay when a user click’s on your ad. The amount you will be required to pay is arrived at using a second price auction mechanism. That is to say, once a user clicks on your ad say in position k, you will be required to pay an amount equaling the minimum bid required to secure that position. Upon clicking on an ad, a user will be directed to the advertiser’s site where then he (user) can convert, i.e., choose whether to register or buy goods or services.
How does Ad Positioning come about?
The ad position for a given keyword is determined by the current bid product and the quality score (also known as past performance) of the ad. Search engines use previous click rates as a metric of measurement of performance because it is not possible to directly receive this data or observe conversions. The top-most ranks usually have better click-through rates irrespective of the advertiser. However, it is important to note that, an ad ranked on a lower position can at times be taken to be a better performer compared to another that is ranked higher so long as the adjusted position CTR is higher as compared to that of a higher ranked ad. Search engines make use of recent CTR data to assess the performance.
5. How to Use Online Advertising for Profitability and Growth
The main objective of advertising is to create awareness about a given product or service which, in turn, may lead to sales. The sole purpose of any business is to make sales and possibly make a profit.
Advertising online can be tracked to assess whether a given advertising campaign is effective and achieving its goals or not. To do this, search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. provide regular reports on the status of given campaigns. The reports give statistics on the clicks and impressions as well as the average position of keywords. Advertisers can change a lot in their campaigns portfolio including keywords, ad copies, landing pages and bids in real time. The submitted bid indirectly determines the ad target position. This ultimately affects the Return on Ad Spend (RoAS), a useful metric used in evaluating the value of an advert.
How to create an ad campaign
For any online advertising strategy to work, its structure and organization must be on point. For this reason, it is imperative to create a meaningful hierarchy for all advertising strategies. Usually, the first step is to create an account, then create your ad campaign which will house your ad groups. In the Ad group, there will be text and image-based keywords product pages as well as landing pages that you seek to sell.
Why create an ad group
Make management easy
Business advertising requires proper funding for it to be effective and often advertising takes time before it can provide positive results. As an advertising manager, you will need to keep making adjustments to your campaign depending on its performance as you wait for it to post valuable Return On Investment (ROI). At other times, you will need to keep changing keywords to enhance performance. Such changes can be made and monitored at the group level. For this reason, having in place proper ad groups will be useful in keyword adjustments and monitoring resulting in a better relevance score and higher quality ranking.
Maximize return on investment
Another benefit of creating an ad group is it aids in the arrangement of keywords systematically. Having systematically arranged keywords is useful in maintaining campaign focus, which in effect results in enhanced marketing scores and better return on investment.
Promote campaign relevancy
Experts at Guttulus observe that Google rates ads based on the relevancy of content. That is to say, if your ad has a high score, then you can rightfully expect a significant reward which will largely impact your cost per click. Therefore, it is important that you create a high quality and relevant campaign. The only way to do this is by having properly organized keywords put in well-structured groups.
6. How to create an effective ad group
It is believed that ad groups form the foundation for a successful campaign. The organization also affects the performance of a campaign. Therefore, it is important that time is taken to consider all the important factors that influence ad performance. Some of the factors that determine an effective ad group include:
The main purpose of advertising online is to attract visitors to your website. You need to build confidence for your visitors to feel they can trust you. One way to do this is by being consistent. You must ensure that the kind of message you ad communicates is consistent. Also, ensure that the content for both text and visual ads is consistent with their respective product and landing pages expertly matched with the online users’ searches.
Integration with the campaign
The online advertising platform is dynamic and with each dawn comes improvements and changes. This implies that what may work today for online advertising may not necessarily work in the future. For this reason, there is need to create ad groups that allow constant modifications. Such adjustments include regular performance evaluation of keywords.
Tailor ads to suit multiple devices
Today, a large number of internet searches including online business orders are done through mobile phones. Google has therefore insisted to website owners and developers that their ranking algorithm will be preferring sites providing mobile-friendly prefaces. However, PPC Hire recommends that creating mobile-friendly websites is not enough. You will also need to ensure that the keywords used in your campaign are also mobile-friendly.
Call to action
Here you need to ask yourself, what do I hope to achieve with this ad campaign? Are you looking to push for better sales? Are you looking to increase user traffic to your business website, or are you simply promoting your products or services? Whichever the case, it is important to include a call to action in your ad groups. Studies have shown that a simple call to action like ‘view our products’ or ‘buy here’ have had significant effects on the campaign as they guide potential customers on the direction to take.
7. How to Use Ads to Grow your business
Investing in advertising can be two-way; it can either help a business to grow in profitability or be a waste of resources especially when there is no definite direction for investing. Here are a few tips on how to effectively use ads to grow your business
Get tech savvy
Today, like never before more and more people are looking for easy and convenient ways to do things. It is for this reason that the online market is continually gaining popularity with each dawning day. Business owners just like everyone else are exploring the online platform where they provide their goods and services to large markets. Therefore, unless you are not serious about your business, you will be missing out if you do not get your advertising online fast.
Keep it fresh
Competition online is fierce, and unless you are willing to take the heat and turn yours a notch higher, you will be in for a surprise. Having a website is not enough to get you sales. You need to keep the website up to date with relevant, unique and attractive content as well as high quality and relevant products. You need to be unique in the way you provide your services, and you must give your visitors a reason to do business with you. Nothing is as frustrating and a turn off as a visitor clicking on your website only to find it cluttered and outdated.
Capitalize on Social Media
By virtue of being widely accessible and free, social networking is an important promotion and advertising tool. The most important thing to know when using social media in advertising is understanding how to make use of the digital word of mouth advertising to your advantage. As a business owner, it is important that you consider a good network that will reach your audience.
8. Tracking and evaluating an AdWords campaign performance
After creating an advertising campaign and getting it matched with your target audience, it is time to look at how the campaign is performing. You need to assess how both texts and displays are fairing. Keeping tabs on the progress of your Google search advertising campaign gives you insight on your return on investment and provides you with ideas for improvement. Each advertisement is divided into components like ad groups and keywords from which distinctive performance can be monitored.
Some tools can be used to measure and keep track of your ad campaign including;
Set up conversions
A good ad campaign administrator must set up a conversion rate calculator. A calculator will, among other things; helps you know what happens when a user clicks on ads directing him to your site, what activities they do on your website and the number of clicks that result in real purchases or impressions.
Creating conversions supplies you with important data about the campaign which in effect will help you make any required changes. Using conversions, you will be able to distinguish performing keywords and ads from the non-performing one by simply comparing their conversion rates. Additionally, you will be able to determine the most appealing products to your site visitors by comparing either their sales rates or the number of views each receives. Setting up conversions requires knowledge about HTTP. However, considering the value that such will add to your business, it is worth every penny and second you will spend studying the process of conversion.
There is a comprehensive online advert reporting system laden with analytical features. In this regard, experts at Guttulus advise filtration of the system to suit your specific campaign so that the important data gets through to the performance report. For example, you can choose to have your campaign performance statistics in the form of row and columns or graphical illustration. Additionally, you can choose to have settings for the period and level ranges at which your data should be examined. The level and period data will be influenced by your campaign size. Advisably, if you are running a relatively small campaign, then examine the ad at the campaign level but if yours is a large-scale campaign you will require data examination at the ad group level.
Search terms comparison report
Search terms are basically keywords you employ in your website. So, are the keywords or phrases a hit or a miss? How closely related are they to the search terms that your target audience makes uses? Google Search has a reporting system that will enable you to compare the keywords you use on your website to other search words used by online visitors over a given period. The reporting system can also help you determine the keywords to pull off from your campaign, new ones to add to it. Negative keywords can easily prevent your site from being shown to visitors when they place a search for products or services that you do not offer thereby preventing you from paying for clicks that will not materialize to sales.
Competition comparison report
Competition on the online platform is fierce, and unless you understand what you are dealing with, you will probably waste resources in advertising and promoting in the wrong direction. When it comes to competition comparison, you will want to look at how your campaign compares with those of your competitors. Google search provides auction status report which you can use to understand how your ad is comparing with your competition. PPC Hire advises that by querying the auction insight reports, you will not only be able to identify gaps in the campaign where you may be losing to your competition, but you will also find reasons why you are losing. You can then use the insight found to implement strategies to beat or catch up with your competition.
One advantage of using auction insight is that it allows detailed comparison of little details to give a detailed report. It is important that you keep making comparisons as such reports not only determine how your ads are faring but they also show the amount of conversion and traffic that your ads are attracting.
Apart from the above, there are other ad reporting systems that you can rely on when fine-tuning your online ad campaigns. While they may vary in technicalities, they are used in helping with other challenges apart from your campaigns.
Tools used to measure Ad performance
It is not enough to create an impressive online advert laden with the right keywords and attractive displays. An online ad campaign requires frequent and constant adjustments if it is to remain useful and effective. You as the administrator need to keep on evaluating different aspects of the advertising strategy such as what content to add or remove. You also need to calculate the rates of conversion of different display ads and keywords.
Here are a few useful tools that you can use to determine the performance of your online advertising campaign
As an online marketer, you need to be info savvy. You especially need to learn a lot about your target audience. For example, you will need to learn how your visitors found out about you, how long your visitors stay on your site, and even which parts of the site are most visited. Google Analytics comes in handy when it comes to the collection of such data. You can also use this tool to get a free and full detailed report on what your visitors do while on your site which you can then use to identify areas in your campaign that may need improvement or adjustment. You can also use the data acquired to expand your campaign where there is positive performance. The information acquired can also be used in identifying product pages with lowest traffic or pages receiving high traffic but low conversions and decide to either make changes to the pages to attract traffic or enhance product displays to help increase conversions.
In short, Google analytics is useful in identifying campaign areas that are performing and those that are not performing, thereby, presenting ground for betterment.
Keywords are an essential part of any advertising campaign, and the kind you choose for your website will determine, among other things, how your website will rank in search engines. For every keyword you use, you will be assigned a quality score. The score rates the relationship between the search terms, ads, landing pages and their relevance to your target audience. In most cases, not all, a higher quality score will indicate higher ad relevance whereas a low score is indicative of low ad relevance.
This can, therefore, be taken as the first tool that can be used to measure ad performance given that with low scores, only minimal ad clicks and conversions will be expected. This tool is quite useful when it comes to perfecting ad campaigns. For example, if you keywords keep getting low-quality scores, it is an indication that your choice of keywords does not meet the threshold of relevance for your target audience.
Click through rate metrics
Also known as conversion rate metrics, click through rate is a performance tool used in determining the overall efficiency of an online advertisement. Using this tool, you will be able to gain insight on the number of banner ads or keywords that led to clicks and impressions. The tool can also help determine the number of clicks that result in the actual purchase of products. Conversion and click through calculators are especially useful in determining your return on investment. This tool allows an administrator to attach value for each click that results in an actual sale. Additionally, this metric can be used in conjunction with other performance measurement tools to improve measurement accuracy.
Campaign experiments are used alongside other ad performance tools and sales performance. A case where this tool will be useful is when you realize that your campaign strategy is not as successful as anticipated. Another case is when you want to change a set of keywords or improve the keywords used in a successful campaign without necessarily affecting the quality score. In these cases, you will adopt campaign experiment strategies. The tool allows you experiment with other options on an ongoing campaign without necessarily affecting it. This means that you will be running two ads simultaneously and thereby, get their performance ratings as you would for any other campaign. Thereafter, you can compare the findings and decide whether to change, adjust, improve or stick with your current ad strategy.
Now, it is critical for any business administrator to carry our regular performance assessments as such provides ground for exposure to aspects that may be lacking. The performance evaluation tools help determine the progress of your campaign in relation the resulting conversions and return on investment. This informs an administrator on what should be done to increase performance.
10. Optimizing the campaign
The process of optimization begins with the identification of tools for measuring your campaign’s goals and the overall campaign. Using performance measurement tools, a campaign administrator can easily determine the campaign aspects that are working as expected, those features that need improvement and those that are negatively affecting the campaign. After thorough analysis and evaluating the performance of a given campaign, it is time to come up with optimization strategies. Some of the ways to help you optimize your online ad campaigns include;
Put Emphasis on relevance
For your campaign to achieve its purposes, it must be visible and accessible to visitors. With online advertising, how your advert ranks is very crucial and will determine the amount of traffic directed to the advertised business. One of the most crucial elements of your campaign that will determine how your business ranks on search engines is how relevant what you are offering is to a given audience. To a large extent, relevance means matching your business ads with your target audience. The relevance should also include the ad product pages and the keyword. Relevance will not only increase website visits, but it can also help transform clicks to sales. Guttulus advises that quality score and relevance should be taken seriously as they will determine where your ad will appear. Also, note that the higher the quality score, the more cost-effective your campaign will become thus more clicks at reduced costs.
Emphasize on keywords
When optimizing, you should not only focus on how to improve the impressions the keywords make. You should also make an effort to examine all the factors that may be dragging down the search and conversions and what can be done about it. For instance, you might look into the number of keywords you have added to your ad campaign, how they influence the searches, and even how many of those keywords reflect on performance. While at it, you will want to consider what to do with non-performing keywords that will not improve performance even after optimization. According to experts at PPC Hire, the best thing to do with such keywords is to add them to negative keywords instead of completing doing away with them. Negative keywords are also useful in the sense that they help prevent unnecessary expenditure by preventing users from accessing a business website which does not offer the kind of product that a searcher is looking for.
Improve on the ad formats
One of the advantages of using online advertising is that it allows for the use of both text and visuals ads. The format that you employ is important as it will determine the number of clicks your ad will receive. It is therefore important to consider how often you use visual ads and which form of interactive social media you employ in the ads. PPC Hire believes that it is high time you shifted your campaign attention to the display ads network while paying close attention to highly interactive media. Another opinion is that, in as much as text ads are still viable, they do not have as much an appeal as rich visual ads. Therefore, it will be prudent that your ads employ just enough text and significantly more visuals.
Tag the ads
Have you ever considered tagging your ads to promotional material URLs and decided against the idea? Well, that was a brilliant idea. Tagging can significantly help improve your ad overall click and conversion rates. You can either look for the URLs and tag or simply use the Google’s auto-tagging feature. Tagging has some benefits including adding value to your website without necessarily changing your website’s destinations. Another benefit is that tags can help you discover conversion leads by making a tagging report. By tagging, you will be able to see leads such as extensions, ads, or pictures that visitors clicked on to get to your product page.
Enhance your ad extensions
Using ad extensions can help optimize your ad performance. One of the ad extensions that is quite useful is the call to action. Ads using a call to action have proven to achieve more clicks as compared to any other type of text ads. It is therefore important to incorporate a call to action and other extensions to ads on your page to reap maximally. The extensions might range from call to location and link extensions. In the beginning, you can start by using several extensions at the same time while monitoring them to see the one with most clicks. You can then optimize it.
Optimizing at the group level
Poor optimization at any level including the ad group level can be the reason your campaign has poor ROI. It is therefore important that you ensure all the important settings are optimised for different devices and that the settings are reporting positively. At the same time, check whether other factors such as low quality score or low budget is contributing to poor performance. You can also use Google to find the percentage of impressions lost due to lack of enough funds.